Excess fats and skin around your eyes always makes you look tired, aged and sick or worse so, can cause vision impairment. This happens over age as the muscles supporting the eyelids stretch and makes them lose their elasticity.
Eyes are one of the first facial features to display signs of aging; however, people generally opt for eyelid surgery after 35years of age. Eyelid surgery can restore the eyelid contour and also eliminate the risk of vision problems. Though blepharoplasty is by and large done for cosmetic reasons, it also helps to improve vision where upper eyelids cause disturbance in the vision. Improve appearance of eyelids by performing surgery on the upper or lower eyelids or both as need be which can be determined only by thorough examination by the doctor. Dr. Sandhya would patiently understand your needs, examine your eyelids properly to get a close assessment of the shape of your eyelids so as to understand if your needs can achieve optimum results. She would also discuss about the expected output and potential risks associated with the surgery.
Blepharoplasty surgery helps to reduce or remove
- Eye puffiness/baggy eyelids
- Sagging skin on upper eyelid with ptotic eyebrow
- Drooping upper or lower eyelids
- unwanted skin around eyes
- tear troughs
The Eyelid Surgery is not meant to remove dark circles under eyes, crow’s feet and other unwanted lines on the face.
Anyone in good health condition can undergo eyelid surgery. However, those suffering from thyroid, high blood pressure, circulatory disorders, diabetes, graves’ disease can have complications during or post surgery.
It is a day-care procedure and takes less than 2 hours. The time taken would depend on the complexity and location of the surgery. You may be monitored for some time post surgery. Surgery can be done under local anesthesia or general anesthesia if you prefer to sleep during the surgery.
Surgery requires making tiny incisions around the natural lines of upper eyelids or just below the lashes of lower eyelids separating skin from the fat lying beneath the skin and then closing these incisions.The resultant scars will be concealed within the natural crease of the eyelids. Different procedures are:
- to tighten the outer skin around the eyes is also often conducted during eyelid surgery to give you a more fresh and youthful look.
- conducted in case you want to get rid of your puffiness below the eyes but do not want any skin removed. This process does not leave any scar behind as the incision is made inside the lower eyelid and fat is either removed or redistributed.
- another way to address drooping upper eyelids particularly where the droops are close to your pupils and interfering with your vision. In this surgery the eyelid muscles are tightened.
Fat rejuvenation for tear trough/ sunken eyes
- Fat harvested from your belly or thighs are filtered and injected in the under eye tear troughs to regain the youthful appearance of eyes. Your surgeon may also suggest you to have laser/ chemical peel for the discoloration in under eye. Fat injection for periorbital rejuvenation have permanent results unlike the hyaluronic acid fillers which needs repeat procedures.
Pre Surgery Requisites
You should stop consuming aspirin, ibuprofen or any other such medical /herbal supplements that increase bleeding atleast 1 weeks before the surgery. It is advisable to meet your ophthalmologist in case you have dry eyes .You would also need to quit smoking as it can prolong the post surgery healing time.You need to undergo a few lab tests before surgery.
Post Surgery Experience
The surgical scars may take about six months to fade. Certain post surgery risks associated with blepharoplasty:
- Difficulty in closing your eyes
- Noticeable scars in the first few months
- Dryness and irritation in eyes
- Skin discoloration
- Temporary blurred vision due to ointments applied to eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Redness where incision was done
- Swelling and bruising of eyes
- Ectropion or difficulty in closing the eyelids
- Rarely unfavourable scarring
Precautions and Care to be taken post surgery
- Keep eyes clean at all times
- Apply ointment and eyedrops as prescribed
- Avoid strenuous activities such as aerobics, swimming, jogging and weight lifting
- No smoking
- Avoid rubbing of eyes
- Contact lenses not to be used for about two weeks post surgery
- Sunglasses to be used for protection from sun and wind
- Head to be raised higher than chest while sleep
- Cool compressors can help to reduce the bruises and swelling to a great extent
Please visit your doctor immediately in case you face any of the problems below:
- Cardiac/Pulmonary complications such as Chest Pain, Unusual Heart Beat, Loss of Breath
- Vision Problems other than blurred vision
- No Vision
The healing time is about 2 weeks; however, normal daily routine can be resumed in 3-4 days time. Bruises and swelling can be reduced faster with cool compress, medications and ointment. Please follow the specific instructions given by doctor post surgery.
Restful eyes and youthful look is the end result of this surgery. Results may last a lifetime for some or recur for some. Surgery helps you get rid of eyes that look tired and aged giving you a fresh and rejuvenated appearance.