Breast reduction, or reduction mammoplasty is a safe and effective procedure for women with large, heavy and pendulous breasts. Women with huge breasts not only are dissatisfied with their body image, but also experience physical pain and discomfort including back and shoulder pain, skin irritation underneath the breasts, bra strap indentations, postural concerns and limitations in exercise. Breast reduction is a procedure that removes fat, glandular tissue and skin from the breasts making them smaller and firmer. Breast reduction surgery reduces the size of areola and helps to restore sagging breasts to give them more youthful appearance.
During consultation with Dr.Sandhya Bala, you will be asked about your desired breast size and things important to you and related to its appearance. This will help Dr.Sandhya understand your expectations and determine if the desired breast reduction can be realistically achieved. She will examine your breasts and will consider factors such as its size, shape, position of nipple, and quality of skin. Measurements of your breast will be taken which is important in surgical planning. You should come to consultation prepared with your medical history. This will include information about any medical ailments, drug allergies, medical treatments you have received, any previous surgeries and medications currently being taken. You may be required to have a mammogram done before the breast reduction surgery.
Breast Reduction surgery is done under general anaesthesia and can be done as a day-care procedure. Techniques for reduction mammoplasty include:
Vertical scar or the short-scar breast reduction
- In this method an incision which circles around the nipple areola and drops down vertically towards the breast crease is used. This breast reduction approach avoids the horizontal scar beneath the breast, reducing the total length of scarring by 50 percent. This offers a better cosmetic result and a natural outcome. The best candidates for this breast reduction technique are women with moderately large breasts.
Traditional reduction techniques
-In women with heavy, pendulous breasts tradition breast reduction technique is used. This uses an anchor shaped incision which goes around the nipple, vertically passing down and extending horizontally along the breast crease. This procedure elevates the nipple to its normal location, reduces volume and improves the contour of breast.
Liposuction may be clubbed with the traditional breast reduction procedure to reduce fat from armpit area. Occasionally in breast reduction, when only fat needs to be reduced, liposuction alone can be used to remove the excess fat from whole breast leaving minimal scars.
When the breast reduction surgery is complete, dressings and bandages will be applied to the incision sites. You will also be advised to wear a support bra at home which helps in reducing swelling and pain post-operative. A small thin tube may be placed temporarily to drain all the fluids and blood that may collect after the breast reduction surgery.
Post Surgery Care
Dr.Sandhya will give you specific instructions for taking care of your incision sites, medications and long term scar care.
Complication & Risks
The possible complications of breast reduction surgery include:
- Bleeding and infection Tissue or nipple loss Partial or complete loss of nipple sensation
- Unevenly positioned nipple
- Possible loss of ability to breast-feed
- Women who smoke are at a higher risk for poor healing, tissue loss, and infection.
- Breast reduction surgery does leave permanent scars which can be rarely problematic if it becomes hypertrophied.
The results of reduction mammoplasty are long-lasting. Your reduced breast size will help relieve pain and discomfort you experienced before surgery in addition to enhancing your self-esteem.